Rider safety is paramount at all times whenever you are cycling on the roads. The strict start time parameter of 6 am and 9 pm, during which cyclists may ride in the challenge, ensure riders are cycling in the light. Our bright orange Tilnar Cycle Challenge cycle tops will help ensure that you are seen. If you start before or continue after the cut off times, your total miles will not be counted.
This is not a race! In no way should you regard this as a race – for many it will just be a social day out. For some this is a personal endurance challenge, where they will want to cycle together with friends, drafting each other and cycling as a team. Riders can cycle for any length of time. The 15 hours should not be considered a target but the parameters during which the challenge can take place. During this time, it will be a question of stamina rather than how fast you are going. Good luck, be safe and pace yourself – otherwise you will run out of energy and be back at your base before you planned!
Entry and participation is at your own risk. We cannot accept any responsibility for accidents that occur when you are either training for or cycling in the Tilnar Cycle Challenge.
Remember it is a personal challenge. Be careful at all times. You are responsible for your own safety and for monitoring your own energy levels. Tiredness can affect your judgment. If fatigue is beginning to affect your judgement or coordination, stop, refuel and have a rest. If you do not feel better and energised again, then stop for this year. Your health and safety is the most important thing.
Cycle Helmets are strongly recommended for everyone taking part in the Tilnar Cycle Challenge and please wear them when training for the Challenge. Cycle Helmets do save lives.
All riders must remember if they are riding on the public highway and MUST comply with the highway code and the laws of the road at all times. Wearing bright colours like the bright orange Tilnar Cycle Challenge cycle tops mean motorists see you that split second earlier and may just save you from having an accident.
All under 16s may only enter with their parent or guardian’s consent and must be accompanied by the parent or guardian at all times. We recommend that all under 12s should only participate on off road circuits such as school playgrounds or playing fields but the ultimate decision is left to the responsible guardian or parent’s discretion who is responsible for the child at all times.
All riders should understand that by entering the Tilnar Cycle Challenge they will also be agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- Participants will be responsible for the roadworthiness of their own cycle.
- This Tilnar Cycle Challenge is not a race or trial of speed, but a personal challenge to see how many miles you can cycle.
- As the event takes place on the open road, riders must abide by the Highway Code at all times.
- The wearing of Hard Shell Style Helmets is strongly recommended for all riders under UCI regulations for 2014. The final decision is with the rider as your safety is ultimately your responsibility.
- All participants under the age of 18 must gain the consent of their parent/guardian prior to completing their entry and a parent or guardian must accompany riders under the age of 18.
- The use of triathlon handlebars is discouraged. However, where riders do have them fitted they are not to be used when riding in a group.
- Riders participate in this event entirely at their own risk, and must rely on their own ability in dealing with all hazards, and must ride in a manner which is safe to themselves and others.
- No liability whatsoever shall attach to the organiser/promoter, promoting club/organisation, event sponsors, or any event official or member of any promoting club /organisation in respect of any injury, loss or damage suffered by riders in or by reason of the event, unless such injury, loss or damage is proven to be caused by the negligence of the aforementioned.
The Ultimate Annual Challenge? A Social Event? A Fun Day Out? – You Decide!